Rusq.org explains what BIOS means
- Welcome to Rusq.org, which specializes in aggregating all questions and answers, what is the definition, discussing and answering what the abbreviation stands for among young people, today let’s learn a new concept, what is BIOS? BIOS meanings. What is BIOS? When should it be used? BIOS – Basic Information for Beginners
What is the BIOS definition?
- BIOS stands for “Basic Input/Output System”. In essence, the BIOS is a group of instructions stored on a firmware chip located on the motherboard of the computer.
- True to its name, BIOS controls basic computer features that we rarely pay attention to: Connect and run drivers for peripheral devices (mouse, keyboard, etc.) usb…), read the hard drive order to boot the operating systems, display the signal on the screen, etc… In short, when the computer boots, the BIOS’s job is to “wake up” each component and Check if the component is working or not. The BIOS then transfers the control back to the operating system.
How to access BIOS?
- When the computer boots, you can usually access the BIOS by pressing the Delete (Del) key. Some other manufacturers may also allow access to the BIOS when the machine is booting by pressing the Esc or F2 key.
- You can read the information on your computer’s boot screen to know the BIOS boot button. In the traditional BIOS screen, you would have to cycle through the menus with the arrow buttons, or the F keys like F5, F6, F9, F10… and press Enter to select, Esc to exit/cancel. In most cases, pressing the F10 key will save your settings and reboot the system.
Traditional UEFI and BIOS
- Before going into the BIOS features, we will mention a new type of BIOS: UEFI. Unlike the traditional BIOS, which has a rather rudimentary interface, reminding of the DOS era, UEFI has a much easier to use graphical user interface. UEFI supports the use of a mouse and can also support graphical elements such as colorful charts or icons, etching with the traditional BIOS, which has less than 10 colors and almost exclusively uses letters and letters. numbers and basic special characters (#, %, <, > …).
- In addition, UEFI is not limited in terms of memory, maximum number of partitions, maximum hard drive capacity… like traditional BIOS.
- As you can see from the two interfaces above, UEFI is the BIOS version of the present and the future. The traditional BIOS interface has been on computers for decades, but the limitations of traditional BIOS can now greatly hinder new hardware. Therefore, motherboard manufacturers have all switched to using UEFI.
- However, UEFI still has the same basic features needed as traditional BIOS. Since this graphical interface has just appeared recently, it is very likely that the PC you are using is still using the old BIOS interface.
What is the BIOS used for?
- If you are the only “tech guy” in your family or at work, you will definitely have to use the BIOS at least once. Although BIOS features may be very simple, most of them cannot be implemented within the operating system (Windows, Linux, etc.). In case your computer has problems, understanding the BIOS’ capabilities will help you a lot, here are some basic BIOS features:
You will need to open the BIOS to change the CPU clock and/or operating voltage for overclocking. When overclocking, you will increase the processing speed of your computer, but you will also face certain risks, the most dangerous of which is the risk of the machine overheating and hanging if the heat is not increased. powerful (with dedicated fan or water cooler).
Monitor temperature, fan speed
If you can’t boot into the operating system, you can open the BIOS to check the temperature of the components to see if any fans have stopped and if the machine is overheating, you can even monitor ( and control) voltage levels to devices such as RAM and CPU, especially if you are an overclocking techie.
When running Windows, you can also use software like HWMonitor to monitor the machine’s temperature.
Change drive read order at boot
When you turn on your computer, you can enter the BIOS or press another shortcut to display a list of drives read at startup.
If you have multiple operating systems installed on multiple hard drives, you can change the read order of the hard drives, so that (for example) boot from the Ubuntu 10 hard drive before booting from the Windows 8 hard drive.
If Windows is damaged, you will also need to put the CD/DVD drive first in the list of drives read at startup to use the error correction features from the Windows installation disc or reinstall Windows.
- In the BIOS, you can set a password to lock the entire computer, not allowing the use of any operating system at all.
- UEFI also supports the Secure Boot feature, which eliminates the ability to boot from unlicensed operating systems on the computer via peripherals or over the network. Most ordinary users will ignore this feature, but for top-secret systems, setting a password in the BIOS can be an effective security solution.
In the BIOS, you can choose to customize many other settings, such as choosing the amount of memory allocated for the integrated graphics card, the clock of the RAM, choosing the operating mode of the machine (saving power). function or increase processing performance), choose whether to allow USB components to boot from sleep (sleep) or not… Each BIOS will have different features, so learn and try to customize settings are in the BIOS. Once you have a good understanding of the BIOS, you will be able to easily handle future computer problems.
Thank you for reading Rusq.org’s article, hopefully the information will answer What is BIOS ? The meanings of BIOS will help you read more useful knowledge. If readers have any comments or questions related to the definition of what BIOS is? Please leave comments below this article. Rusq.org is always ready to exchange and receive new information and knowledge from readers
- What is BOD? Meanings of BOD
- Lending and Borrowing Across Borders: Issues and Challenges with International Resource Sharing
- What are Widgets? Meanings of Widgets
- What is Oracle? Meanings of Oracle
- The Good, the Bad, but Mostly the Ugly: Adherence to RUSA Guidelines during Encounters with Inappropriate Behavior Online