Rusq.org explains what Credits mean
- 1 Rusq.org explains what Credits mean
- 1.1 What is the definition of Credit?
- 1.2 Regulations of the Ministry of Education and Training on credit registration
- 1.3 So how many credits will a school year have?
- 1.4 Should I apply for summer school credit?
- 1.5 The advantages of learning by credit
- 1.6 Disadvantages of studying college credits that students need to know
- 1.7 Conclude
- Welcome to Rusq.org, specializing in generalizing all questions and answers, what is the definition, discussing and answering what the abbreviation stands for among young people, today we will learn a new concept that is What is Credit? The Meanings of Credit. What is college credit? What is credit? How many credits are there in a school year? What is credit? The nature of the form of training under the credit system thống
What is the definition of Credit?
- There are currently more than 60 definitions of credit. There are definitions that emphasize the qualitative aspect, the definition that emphasize the quantitative aspect, the definition that emphasize student outcomes, and the other that emphasize the goals of a study program. One definition of credit best known to educational administrators and researchers in Vietnam is that of the Chinese-American scholar James Quan of the University of Washington. During a presentation on the credit-based training system at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan in the summer of 1995, scholar James Quan presented his understanding of credits as follows: a measure of the total time required of a typical learner to study a particular subject, including class time; time spent in the lab, internship or other scheduled work; and time spent reading, researching, solving problems, writing or preparing lessons…; for theory courses one credit is one hour of class time (with two hours of preparation) per week and lasts for a semester of 15 weeks; for studio or laboratory subjects, at least 2 hours a week (with 1 hour of preparation); for self-study subjects, at least 3 hours of work in a week.
- In Vietnam, university credit is now a unit used to measure the learning volume of the ECTS system. According to the regulations of the Ministry of Education and Training, one credit is equal to 30 practical lessons with activities such as experiments or discussions, 15 theory lessons, 60 hours of practice at the institution, or a degree. 45 hours of writing essays, projects, major assignments or graduation theses
Regulations of the Ministry of Education and Training on credit registration
- Currently, universities and colleges throughout the country implement one of two training methods, including: study by year system and study by credit.
- Year-by-year learning means that learners are trained year by year. Each year, the school will make clear regulations on the number of courses and the number of subjects that students must follow
- As for credit training, schools conduct the organization by semester, not by year. A year can hold 2 to 3 semesters, depending on the student’s desire to study different subjects. To graduate, students must accumulate enough credits as prescribed by the Ministry of Education and Training
The Ministry of Education and Training has issued a clear regulation on the minimum amount of training that students can register in a semester as follows:
- – For students with normal academic standing, it is necessary to register at least 14 credits per semester, excluding the last semester of the course. This is to ensure students can graduate on time
- – For students who are in the period of being classified as weak, they must register at least 10 credits per semester, excluding the final semester.
- – For students who study in extra semesters, there is no minimum amount of study
So how many credits will a school year have?
- In fact, the selection of credits will depend on the student’s ability and appropriate time arrangement. And so that you can be more clear about the registration, in one day. You can study 18 lessons (6 morning classes, 6 afternoon classes, 6 evening classes).
- Thus, it can be calculated that in 1 academic year, students can register a maximum of 84 credits. (For those who do not take summer school, it is 70 credits).
Should I apply for summer school credit?
- Currently, universities do not have regulations that require students to attend summer school. But for those of you who want to graduate quickly, summer school is an effective way.
- However, there are still many conflicting opinions around summer school. Many people think that in the summer, students should go to work and roll around. Volunteer or learn other skills. What about your opinion?
- In general, whether to go to summer school or not is a personal choice. No one can stop you from signing up for summer school. No one is forcing you to sign up for summer school. As long as you want and believe you do the right thing, you will surely understand what you should do.
The advantages of learning by credit
Currently, most universities and colleges across the country are making changes to the trend of credit-based, learner-centered training, because it offers distinct advantages:
Create flexibility in subjects
- For the credit-based training program, it will be more flexible, including general knowledge blocks and specialized knowledge blocks. For general knowledge: these are compulsory subjects for students applied to the whole school, regulated by the Ministry of Education and Training. As for specialized knowledge: is the knowledge applied to each different discipline, going deep into the profession. Students can consult with teachers or academic advisors to choose appropriate subjects, meet degree requirements and serve the future, because the knowledge block has a larger number of subjects than the number of subjects. required number of subjects or credits
- At the same time, this method of teaching and learning credits allows students to easily change their knowledge without having to learn from scratch. Students can update the job market’s needs, thereby giving appropriate orientations without worry. Because the credit system has allowed recognition of knowledge and skills accumulated outside to receive a degree. At the same time, it is more convenient for students of different backgrounds to come to the university
- Thus, it can be said that credit-based training is one of the important bottlenecks to carry out the transformation of elite universities into public universities.
Student-centered credit learning
- Teaching and learning by credit will help improve teaching effectiveness and creative thinking of students. In this form, learners learn by themselves, self-study, reduce the cramming of knowledge of the teacher, and thus, promote the initiative and creativity of learners. Learners are recipients of knowledge, but at the same time, they are also active creators of knowledge, aiming to meet the needs of the labor market outside of society. All training methods take the teaching-learning process as the focus. However, in the traditional training method, the role of the teacher is valued (teacher-centered). In contrast, in the credit-based training method, the role of learners is given special importance (student-centered). The learner-centered approach is thoroughly grasped from the design of the program, the compilation of teaching content and the use of teaching methods.
Students are flexible about graduation time
- Different from the traditional training method, students can graduate on time. But for credit training, it depends on the number of credits that students register to decide the time to graduate. The more credits you accumulate, the sooner you graduate from school. Depending on your wishes and needs, you can graduate after 3.5 years, 4 years, 5 years, it depends on the students themselves.
- The credit-based training method will create a connection between higher education levels and between different training disciplines of the same university or further, between higher education institutions between countries. this with other countries in the world. When the connection is expanded, many universities recognize each other’s training quality, learners can easily move from one university to another (both at home and abroad). no difficulty in transferring credits. As a result, adopting a credit-based approach to education encourages student mobility, expands their study choices, increases the transparency of the education system, and makes it easier to compare. between higher education systems around the world is easier.
Flexible study time
- For credit-based training, students will be able to choose subjects, time, and teachers themselves. You can schedule classes so that you can do other tasks at the same time. This is especially useful for students who are far from home and need to work part-time. Choose according to your own desires
Reduce costs in teaching
- In this method of training, costs will be more economical because students will only have to pay based on the credits they register, not according to the academic year. Therefore, it is not too important to miss or miss a few courses, you can still continue your learning process without having to go back to learning from the beginning. Not only does it help students, but credit training also helps schools to make budget calculations easier for applying for appropriate grants.
Disadvantages of studying college credits that students need to know
Besides the advantages, the credit training method also creates difficulties in the teaching and learning process. One of those weaknesses is:
Students are difficult to connect
- When doing credit-based learning, it will be more difficult for students to connect with each other, because each person will choose for themselves different subjects, time, and classes. So even if they are in the same class, it is not certain that they have met. Therefore, it is difficult for class groups to unite and group activities are also difficult. Most of the students only play in groups with each other, so individualism is emphasized and not valued at the community.
- Most of the credit-based universities and colleges, the subjects will usually be divided into 2, 3, 4 credits. Thus, teachers cannot convey all knowledge to students. This is also a huge disadvantage, especially for those who are lazy to study and research.
Thank you for reading the article of Rusq.org, hope the information answers What is credit ? The meanings of Credit will help readers add useful knowledge. If readers have any comments or questions regarding the definition of Credit? Please leave comments below this article. Rusq.org is always ready to exchange and receive new information and knowledge from readers