Rusq.org explains what GGT means
- Welcome to Rusq.org, which aggregates all questions and answers what is the definition, discusses and answers what the abbreviation stands for among young people, today let’s learn a new concept that is GGT? Meanings of GGT. When is a GGT test worrisome? What causes the ggt index to increase? What is the GGT Index? What do GGT test results mean?
What is the definition of GGT?
- GGT is one of three important liver enzymes along with two others, AST and ALT. GGT is not only present in the liver but also in the kidneys, spleen, pancreas, small intestine, liver, etc.
- GGT (Gamma Glutamyl transferase) is one of the enzymes that play an important role in the diagnosis of cholestasis in the liver. GGT is more valuable than other enzymes because it is very sensitive to changes in cholestasis. GGT activity is increased in several pathological conditions of the liver such as chronic hepatitis, alcoholic liver injury, viral hepatitis, and metastatic liver cancer.
- Besides, the GGT test also plays an important role in determining the cause of increased ALP. Typically, both ALP and GGT are elevated in bile duct disease and liver diseases. Only ALP is increased in bone diseases. Therefore, an increase in ALP in individuals with normal GGT levels is largely due to bone disease.
How much GGT is dangerous?
A normal GGT reading is in the range of less than 60 UI/L. In women, this index is 11-50 UI/L, in men, the GGT index falls between 7-32 UI/L.
So how much GGT is dangerous ? There are 3 levels indicating the increase of the GGT index:
- Mild degree: increase in 1-2 times.
- Moderate level: increase in 2-5 times
- Severity: increased more than 5 times.
However, the GGT test cannot distinguish between different causes of liver damage because it can be elevated with a variety of liver diseases (liver cancer and viral hepatitis …) and non-hepatic conditions (such as syndromes) acute coronary syndrome). Therefore, the GGT test is not recommended for routine use.
GGT levels sometimes increase when people drink alcohol. Levels are higher in chronic heavy drinkers than in people who consume less than 2 to 3 drinks per day. The GGT test is also used to evaluate a person for acute or chronic alcohol abuse.
What causes the GGT index to rise?
Knowing what causes a high GGT will help you avoid the risk of liver damage. This is especially important for people with high liver enzymes. Circumstances that can increase blood GGT include:
- Cirrhosis , death of liver tissue
- Cholestatic jaundice
- Acute hepatitis or liver shock
- Liver cancer or liver tumor
- Use of hepatotoxic drugs: Phenytoin, Phenobarbitalbit
- Long-term use of high concentrations of alcohol
- Improper rest mode, affecting liver function năng
- Improper nutrition, weakening the liver
- Diabetes , lung disease
- Pancreatic disease
- Lack of blood flow to the liver
- Elevated liver enzymes AST (SGOT), ALT (SGPT), and GGT have also been observed in cases of malaria, biliary tract disease, iron overload, autoimmune hepatitis, autoimmune diseases of the small intestine, and some other diseases.
Note : Before testing for GGT , patients need to remember not to use drugs (Phenytoin, Phenobarbital ..) within 24 hours because this is likely to increase GGT levels in the blood, leading to results. test was not accurate. Similarly, patients should not use alcohol, beer, tobacco or stimulants even in small amounts, because it will seriously affect the results.
How to control the GGT . index
Don’t worry too much when you know your liver has a high GGT. Because modern medicine is very developed and this is a curable disease. Need to see a specialist to determine the cause, follow the instructions to help improve. Specifically, here are some tips to follow:
- First, it is necessary to do a test for hepatitis , especially hepatitis B and C. Particularly for hepatitis B, in addition to testing for HBsAg when positive, it is also necessary to do additional tests for HBeAg, HBsAb, antiHBeAg… If possible, viral DNA testing is required.
- If elevated liver enzymes are caused by inflammation of the biliary tract, it is necessary to help radically improve the cause.
- If hepatitis is caused by alcohol, it is necessary to abstain from alcohol, beer and alcoholic beverages.
- If liver enzymes increase because of alcohol, then alcohol should be reduced.
- You should go for regular health check-ups to be monitored and evaluated by a specialist.
- Diet directly affects all parts of the body, especially the liver, where toxins are often eliminated. A scientific diet brings benefits both inside and outside the body, but a diet full of alcohol, not on time … will make liver function decline.
- The liver has the ability to detoxify the body as with strong toxins such as chemicals, toxic substances in food that accumulate for a long time, can the liver withstand it? The answer is of course no. It will tire and the ggt stat will also quietly increase.
- Do not arbitrarily buy traditional medicines or traditional medicines according to word of mouth to help improve. Medicines that have not been scientifically tested or have no clear evidence will lead to many harmful consequences, aggravate liver disease or become incurable.
- Rest properly, avoid doing stressful jobs.
Things to keep in mind before taking the GGT . test
Before taking the GGT test, the patient should remember to do the following to help the most accurate result:
- – Do not use drugs such as Phenytoin, Phenobarbital .. within 24 hours because this is likely to increase the concentration of GGT in the blood, leading to inaccurate test results.
- Similarly, patients should not use alcohol, beer, tobacco or stimulants even a small amount within 24 hours, because it will seriously affect the results.
Thank you for reading Rusq.org’s article, hopefully the information will answer what is GGT ? The meanings of GGT will help readers add useful knowledge. If readers have any comments or questions regarding the definition of what is GGT? Please leave comments below this article. Rusq.org is always ready to exchange and receive new information and knowledge from readers
Bài viết cùng chủ đề:
What is capacity? Meanings of Capacity
What are Widgets? Meanings of Widgets
What is Hybrid? Meanings of Hybrid
What is body shaming? Meanings of Body shaming
What is Quota? Meanings of Quota
What is BIOS? Meanings of BIOS
What is RFID? Meanings of RFID
What is take-up? Meanings of Take Up
What is Promotion? Meanings of Promotion
What is a local brand? Local brand meanings
What is Odds? Meanings of Odd
What are OKRs? Meanings of OKR
What is credit? Meanings of Credit
What is CPR? Order of performing CPR skills
What is a forwarder? The meanings of forwarder
What is M&E? Meanings of M&E